Can You Eat Poison Ivy?

Posted by on Apr 4, 2015 in edible, leaves, poison ivy, Unmowed Blog | 9 comments

 A tiny red leaf. It catches the early spring sunlight like a ruby. I hesitate, take a deep breath. Should I eat it? Just a little teeny bite of poison ivy.poison ivy red

It’s research, after all. There’s an old, old belief that eating a leaf of poison ivy every day in the spring will make you immune to the itch. It’s undoubtedly true, I read it on the internet! All sorts of websites attribute the custom to Canadian loggers, Spanish conquistadors, or various unspecified Indians.

But many reputable sources agree that it’s possible to attain immunity by eating poison ivy. Euell Gibbons, the famous wild foods guru of the sixties, swore by this method—he recommended starting in spring when the leaves are small, and eating one a day, therefore getting a small and slowly increasing dose of urushiol, the toxic chemical that causes the itch, so that your system can gradually develop an immunity.

I’ve actually met someone who had done this. A young man who assured me that he ate poison ivy every spring. He was still alive, with lips and tongue apparently intact–he swore it didn’t bother him at all, and he never got a rash. And, better yet, he vowed poison ivy leaves were delicious, with a “light, lemony taste.”

The early spring leaf in my fingers is no bigger than a pea. How could such a small amount hurt anyone? But research has shown that a sensitive individual can get a horrendous reaction from 50 micrograms of urushiol—a grain of salt weighs 60 micrograms.

I drop the leaf on the ground. Nope. Just can’t do it. I’m not particularly susceptible to poison ivy, but allergies are tricky things. You can develop them as you age, or grow out of them. A nibble of poison ivy just might sensitize me so that my next poison ivy encounter would be worse than ever. I guess I’m just not a truly dedicated researcher. I’ll just have to enjoy poison ivy this spring from a safe distance.

Itching to know more? Check out my books:

In Praise of Poison Ivy: The Secret Virtues, Astonishing History, and Dangerous Lore of the World’s Most Hated Plant. Identification, tips for healing the itch, and why birds love PI–everything (and more) that you ever wanted to know about poison ivy.

Leaflets Three, Let It Be! A picture book for pre-K to Grade 3, to help the youngest explorers enjoy nature safely.

spring poison ivy

9 Comments

  1. I’ll tell my story is a little more involved I have cut trees for the last 10 years in some trees have serious poison ivy on it but there’s tree still have to come down. Mia’s the climber have to climb through tons of poison ivy to cut the tree so needless to say I have had severe poison ivy rashes during one of my severe rashes I was helping a neighbor in his yard and he gave me something he made using Everclear and poison ivy which cleared most of my rash up and 4 days so I decided to do the same I took Everclear and I got a mason jar and put Leaves berries and small viens from poison ivy that was late in the season (fall)which happens to be more potent than early-season poison ivy in the Mason jar and poured Everclear over that and let it soak for an hour or so then I put the Everclear back into the bottle which was a very dark green and I proceeded to take a shot every other day till the bottle was gone and for six years I do not get rashes. This year I got into my first tree with poison ivy all over it and I have a little bit of rashes on my arm I’m thinking that I’m going to redo this process. Thank you very much for your time

  2. i react pretty bad to it. I’ve been completely covered in raised red blisters from head to toe and my stomach was noticeably swollen on one side of my body. I have so much around the house that i get it all the time in the summer. I decided to start eating it. I ate the smallest amount (still red in the leaf in early spring) in a piece of bread at first and waited a few days. i purposely was careless while working around my property. I noticed i had a small amount on my hand, stomach and forehead. I ate some more and it dried out and cleared up within 4 days. i had no internal reactions or anything. I then ate 3 fully green and mature leaves for a 3rd time consuming, and have not been prompt by any means to wash my hands or legs or clothing. i have not had reactions to it and i held it in my hand with no gloves and no bread. i seem to be ok. i’m not going to say it will be the same for everyone, but i can say what’s happened to me.

    • That’s fascinating, thanks for posting that. Hope it continues to work well!

  3. Some years ago, I did the ‘A leaf a day in the month of May’ prescription.
    Each morning, I would go out to an outcropping of poison ivy and find a young light green leaf. It had a mild sweetness.
    That Summer, I spent a lot of time in scrub, forest and logged areas.
    I had no problem with poison ivy.

    • How interesting, thanks for writing. I’m always interested in what the actual experience of eating poison ivy is like. It makes sense that the leaves would taste mild and sweet since so many species of wildlife use them for food.

  4. I have noticed that eating it doesn’t necessarily make me immune to it’s effects on the skin, though. For example, the other day, I was weedeating poison ivy at chest level, and the juice was just flying. A day or so later, my arms started itching, although I hadn’t eaten any for a few days.

    • Thanks for sharing your experiences, this is very interesting. I think that the human immune system is so complex, and so unique to each individual, that it’s really difficult to predict how we’ll react to poison ivy each time. A cure that works perfectly for one person might not work at all for another.

  5. Well, I tried half a leaf last week. I’ve been increasiing the dose and the frequency of it. I’m up to one large leaf per day, sometimes two, now, more or less. When I started, I was working in it and had some patches of affected skin on the ankles and wrists, but not much considering how much juice was flying when I plunged that weedeater into it. (We’re clearing my land, and overgrown with the stuff.)

    It tastes pretty good once you get accustomed to it. The taste is acquired — kind of like with turnip greens, but there’s nothing lemony about it.

    Here’s a plus. I had an appointment to see a dermatologist tomorrow because of what appeared to be a skin cancer. It has disappeared. I called this afternoon and cancelled the appointment.

    Been considering making some poison ivy pickles or poison ivy pepper sauce. Or maybe I should can some P I for use in the winter.

    • How interesting! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences.

Follow this blog or leave a reply

%d bloggers like this: